Akira IGATA is currently a Visiting Professor at the Center for Rule-making Strategies, Tama University. He is also a lecturer at Aoyama Gakuin University, an Adjunct Fellow at Pacific Forum, and a Researcher at the National Security Policy Division of the Foreign Policy Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
He received his undergraduate training at Georgetown University (one-year exchange program, Heiwa Nakajima Foundation scholar) and International Christian University (Chris-Wada scholar). He subsequently received his MA in political science from Columbia University (Japanese government fellowship scholar). He was awarded the Aoi Global Research Award to study at the Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Cambridge University in 2016. He was a recipient of the security studies fellowship from the Research Institute for Peace and Security (2010-2012)。
His research expertise includes: Economic statecraft; International Politics in the Indo-Pacific; Japanese security and foreign policies; and Japan-U.S. alliance.
- Japanese translation of: Aaron L. Friedberg. A Contest for Supremacy: China, America, and the Struggle for Mastery in Asia. New York: WW Norton & Co, 2012. ([Co-translator] 『支配への競争：米中対立の構図とアジアの将来』日本評論社、2013年。)
- Co-authored with Michael J. Green. “The Gulf War and Japan’s National Security Identity.” In Yoichi Funabashi and Barak Kushner Eds. Examining Japan’s Lost Decades. New York: Routledge, 2015.
- “The Drafting Process of the National Security Strategy: Three Advisory Panels of the Second Abe Cabinet. Kokusai Anzenhosho [Journal of International Security], Vol.42, No.4, 2015. [「『国家安全保障戦略』の作成過程―第2次安倍政権下の3つの懇談会」『国際安全保障』第42巻第4号、2015年。]
- (Co-authored) “A pragmatic public: Observations of Japan’s 2016 Public Opinion Survey on Diplomacy.” PacNet #30, March 22, 2016.
- “Japan’s submarine bid is a first date, not a marriage proposal.” The Interpreter. April 13, 2016.
- Japanese translation of: Barak Kushner. The Thought War: Japanese Imperial Propaganda. Honolulu: University of Hawai’i Press, 2007.(『思想戦：大日本帝国下のプロパガンダ政策』明石書店、2016年。)
Economic Statecraft I, Economic Statecraft II